Note: There are many
more benefits to Bikram Yoga that go beyond this list. This is simply
an attempt to summarize a few specific, often asked about, areas.
• Mental relaxation
• Works the nervous, respiratory and circulatory systems.
Half Moon Pose
• Helps lower back pain, constipation, obesity of stomach, bronchi distress, scoliotic deformities,
• Works deltoid, trapezius, pectoralis major and hamstrings.
• Exercises the colon, pancreas and kidney.
• Helps to open pelvic area, alleves joint pain and arthritis of the knees, strengthens lower limbs,
relieves sciatica, improves flexibility in toes and ankles.
• Works quadriceps and deltoids.
• Strengthens lower extremities, joint mobility for hip girdle and all 12 major joints. By creating
pressure in the joints and releasing allows fresh blood supply to flow in.
• Control of sexual energies, improves function of central nervous system.
Standing Head to Knee Pose
• Improves concentration, avoids sciatica by improving circulation and flexibility, reduces diabetes,
strengthens back muscles and nerves.
• Works the muscular, skeletal, reproductive and digestive systems.
Standing Bow Pose
• Increases circulation to the heart and lungs.
• Improves elasticity of the spine by compressing the spine.
• Helps with lower back pain.
• Opens diaphragm and lungs.
Balancing Stick Pose
• Increases blood flow all over the body at the same time.
• Clears blockage in arteries
• Builds strength in lower extremities
• Works the pancreas, kidneys and spleen
• Works muscular, reproductive, nervous and circulatory systems.
Separate Leg Stretching
• Helps constipation, abdominal obesity and hyperacidity.
• Increases circulation to the brain and adrenal glands.
• Good for small and large intestines.
• Good for kidneys
• Helps chemical imbalances in the system.
• Helps colitis, constipation, hip and back pain, spondilitis, general mobility and menstrual disorders.
• Cardiovascular benefits
• Circulatory, digestive, immune, reproductive and muscular systems all worked.
Standing Separate Leg Head to Knee
• Helps abdominal obesity, diabetes, thyroid, blood sugar balance, pancreas and kidneys.
• Works endocrine, reproductive and digestive system.
• Works obiliques, iliopsoas, quads, deltoids, trapezius, biceps and triceps.
• Creates hip and knee mobility
• Releases abdominal tension
• Helps inflammation of the lower back
• Creates balance in body and mind
• Strengthens stomach muscles.
• Helps with arthritis, knee problems or gout pain.
• Strengthens weak joints.
Dead Body Pose
• Improves circulation
• Teaches relaxation
Wind Removing Pose
• Helps constipation, flatulence and hyperacidity.
• Massages ascending colon, descending colon and transverse colon.
• Strengthens and tightens the abdomen
• Increases flexibility of the spine
The Cobra Series of Postures
(Cobra, Locust, Full-Locust and Bow)
• Works to compress and open up the spine.
• Each posture works a specific section of the spine.
• Creates spinal changes, helps low back pain, scoliosis and cervical spondylosis.
• Strengthens and improves flexibility of lower spine, knees and ankle joints.
• Helps to cure sciatica, gout and rheumatism in the legs.
• Helps varicose veins.
• Helps to cure and prevent hernia.
• Provides maximum relaxation.
• Cures indigestion, constipation and flatulence.
• Stretches lower part of the lungs – good for emphysema and asthma.
• Helps diabetes.
• Increases blood flow to the brain, bringing mental clarity.
• Strengthens muscles in the back and shoulders.
• Produces maximum compression of the spine, stimulating the nervous system.
• Improves flexibility of neck and spine.
• Relieves backache.
• Helps kypho-scolitic deformities.
• Stretches spine, maximum extension – opposite of Camel.
• Helps maintain mobility and elasticity of spine and back muscles.
• Nutures the nervous system, brings blood to the brain, helps cure depression.
• Helps diabetes.
• Helps with colds, sinus problems, chronic tonsillitis, sore throats and strep throat.
• Good for thyroid and parathyroid and larynx.
Head to Knee with Stretching
• Helps balance blood sugar level, especially good for diabetics.
• Good for the immune system, stimulates the thymus.
• Improves kidney function.
• Increases circulation to the liver and the spleen, pancreas, thyroid, thymus and intestines.
• Only posture that twists spine from top to bottom at the same time.
• Improves flexibility of spine and hip joints.
• Helps prevent slipped discs.
• Increases circulation and nutrition to spinal nerves, veins and tissues.
• Helps sciatica.
• Improves digestion.
• Helps to rid body of toxins.
• Good for emphysema and other respiratory ailments.
• Strengthens, massages and increases circulation to the abdominal organs and muscles,
including the diaphragm.
• Good against high blood pressure and good for the heart.